Lemon Water in the Morning
Lemon water in the Morning?
A bit of my story
Although I am 5 foot 11 inches tall, the 22 pounds that I quietly gained over 2-3 years could no longer be hidden. I went from wearing a size 8-10 to nearly a size 16. The extra weight felt heavy to carry around. Compounding the problem was that I didn’t know how to diet since I had always been a skinny girl. I didn’t know how or where to start.
And, then, with one small change, I took a shift.
Drumroll, please… Lemon water in the Morning!
Howie suggested that I try drinking lemon water in the morning every day.
“Lemon Water in the Morning?” I asked skeptically, “Now, why would lemon water help me?”
“Just try it. Every morning. First thing you drink. Then wait at least 10 minutes before eating or drinking anything else. You won’t believe how the simple act of drinking lemon water can change your life.”
I like the taste and smell of lemons so this seemed easy enough to try. For the past 3 and a half years, every morning – without fail, Howie squeezes half a lemon to a whole lemon – depending on the size of the lemon – into a cup of room temperature or warm water.
And, you know what? It works!
Drinking lemon water every morning has caused a shift in my digestive system and has helped me lose weight. I have lost 17 and a half pounds (8 kilo) so far. I feel great, I look way better, the shape of my face has slimmed, and I now wear a size 10.
No, I did not go on any radical diets. No, I did not increase my hours of exercise beyond what I have been doing for years: twice a week elliptical for 30 minutes, twice a week yoga class, once or twice a week I try to lift light free weights.
The only change that I made was to drink lemon water every morning right after waking up before eating or drinking anything else. Then I wait at least ten minutes before eating or drinking anything else.
Here’s what happened
I feel less bloated. My skin looks more radiant. I hardly catch colds or get sick with the flu. The aroma of the lemon perks me up. Mornings are truly not my best time of day. That’s an understatement. Yet, somehow, mornings have become slightly less of a drag with the daily shot of sunshiny lemon water.
I know, I know, I sound like an advertisement for lemons. I couldn’t believe the effects of lemon water so I started to do some research and here is what I have learned: Lemon water provides your body with natural enzymes, anti-oxidants and vitamins – a good portion of vitamin C, potassium, folate, magnesium and calcium.
Benefits of drinking lemon water in the morning:
• Even though lemon itself is highly acidic, consuming lemon water reduces the acidity in our body.
• Lemon water can help us lose weight faster, since it suppresses hunger pangs. Having a less acidic body makes weight loss easier.
• Drinking lemon water in the morning helps flush toxins that accumulate in our stomach, fights bacteria in the mouth and freshens one’s breath.
• Lemon water helps to hydrate the body since lemon juice contains potassium, calcium and magnesium.
• Lemon water can help reduce bloating and gas.
• Lemon water helps you maintain a steady insulin level.
• Lemon is rich in Vitamin C which boosts our immune system. Lemon water also has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which help our bodies fight disease.
• The Vitamin C in lemons is good for the adrenal glands and can potentially help reduce the effects of stress.
• Lemon water cleanses the liver by causing it to release toxins.
• Drinking lemon water daily can help reduce your blood pressure.
• The Vitamin C in lemon water acts as an anti-oxidant and helps keep your skin fresh and younger looking. Vitamin C which is required for collagen production for healthy skin.
TIP: After drinking your glass of lemon water, make sure to rinse your mouth well with some plain water. This will wash the acid from the lemon off of your teeth and will prevent potential tooth erosion, gum irritation, or yellowing of the teeth. Lemon juice can leech calcium from your teeth.
Drinking lemon water by itself isn’t going to be a miracle weight loss solution. When used with other healthy habits, drinking lemon water every morning can help spark a shift. It definitely helped me.